Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Non-Fiction That Feels Like Fiction and Fiction That Feels Like Non-Fiction: A Jacob's Ladder

 Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death, and Glory in America's Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt

Earlier in my life, I was a fiction reader with occasional forays into biography. I would put the fiction to non-fiction ratio at 95%-5%. Now, the spit is closer to 60%- 40%. Perhaps, because there are really captivating non-fiction writers, or I've matured in my capacity to read non-fiction. Still, I think it's Malcolm Gladwell: I love his books and podcast. Self-help books have become necessary. I need help, please someone tell me what to do. Also, I now read some theology books because my husband convinced me and Tim Keller is a list maker. 

The book Chasing the Thrill by Daniel Barbaris is a memoir, adventure story, and biography telling a bizarre story of wealthy octogenarian Forrest Finn's hidden treasure. Finn hid the treasure; wrote a poem and a biography. If you could solve the clues in the poem, you could find approximately a million dollars or more in gold coins and other artifacts. People died searching. Finn's family was threatened by those hoping to force Finn to tell them it's hiding place. I stressed reading the book. I worried about who might die and what might be destroyed or damaged in the search. It was probably hidden in a State or Federal Park. I kept my husband updated as I read it, and we disagreed on Finn's responsibility. I thought Finn should recover the treasure to save further death and possible injury to his family, but my husband seemed more engaged by the mystery and adventure. A classic problem of opposites attract that we've wrestled with as a couple. I like security; he likes adventure. He gets me out of the house, and I make sure we have clean underwear when we go. 

55964195

There is research showing reading fiction can make you more empathetic. https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/how-reading-fiction-increases-empathy-and-encourages-understanding

I agree that fiction can give you perspectives on life that are unimaginable. Hell of a Book by Jason Mott creates understanding about being black in America. In that sense, Hell of a Book was painful to read, but Mott pulled me through his novel with intrigue and humor. The book feels like a Jacob's ladder toy that continually unfolds, but there isn't a clear "top" or "bottom." Mott juggles story lines with dexterity landing them deftly in the ending, leaving me, as a reader, amazed. I am a sucker for award-winning books, and Hell of a Book won The National Book Award for Fiction. I think this will be one of my top books for the year.

                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...