Tuesday, March 8, 2022

I'm Reading Writers Who Write About Writers


The two books I read this week made me think writers can be neurotic self-absorb people--sometimes in a fun way and sometimes in a way that makes you want to stop reading mid-book to do something less depressing like read Jude the Obscure or The Road.

 57693474


    After last week's heavy books (i-am-disturbed-war-violence-and-climate.html), I eagerly read Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead by Elle Cosimano. It is the second in a series about a newly divorced, financially strapped, mother-of-two writer of romantic suspense novels. I have read a lot of mystery and suspense novels, but Cosimano kept me guessing--she does several insane plot twists--and had me laughing out loud. The book is descriptive and full of hijinks. A good combination of tension and relief that makes me like Cosimano.

55315487. sy475


    I like books that have non-standard plots. The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz was recommended as that type of book. This book is also about a writer. The main character had a mildly received first book, but couldn't build on that success. When we meet him, Jacob Finch Bonner, he is bitterly teaching writing at a small-time writer's program, and he hears a fantastic plot that he's sure will be a best seller. If only he'd thought of it. The proposed book never materializes because the student dies. So Jacob writes it and becomes a best-selling author who is guilt-ridden for what he has done. Did he "steal" the plot if the original author was dead, and why is he getting threats of exposure? Korelitz writes a killer story. It reminded me of a Hitchcock movie where you are not sure things will work out for the hero. Jacob becomes frozen and depressed mid-book. It was crushing, and I considered not finishing, but I persevered and was rewarded with a stunning ending. It has a slow start, but when it catches fire, it's incredible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...