Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Senior Citizens and Murder

 The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)The Man Who Died Twice (Thursday Murder Club, #2)

  I heard this book recommended on the podcast "What Should I Read Next." This is one of my favorite podcasts. Two-thirds of the books I read I hear about are from Anne Bogel or her guest.  

Side note--I spent many minutes searching the internet to correctly punctuate a podcast series title. I'm not entirely comfortable with quotation marks, I was thinking italicized like a book title, but this is what I understand the internet to say. If you have a better answer, please try and leave a comment. I'm not sure that comments are working even though I've made them available in settings. This is my life with technology: sometimes I rock, sometimes I roll.

Back to the books I read this week. Richard Osman's book The Thursday Murder Club was a five-star read for me. I usually don't give five stars, especially to murder mysteries, but this was an exceptionally good book. The premise is a group of four elderly resident's living in a senior community gather together every Thursday to discuss unsolved murders when in their midst is an actual murder. There is Joyce, the retired flirty, nurturing nurse; Elizabeth, the hardcore former MI-5 (6?) cold war operative; Ron, the tough, but kind labor organizer known as "Red Ron," and Ibrahim, the wise no longer practicing psychiatrist. This book was funny, twisty, and heartwarming without being trite. It is peopled with quirky, distinctive characters and murder. I was guessing who-done-it right up to the very end. 

   I loved the first book so much that I immediately checked out the second one, The Man Who Died Twice. It was as good as the first. There is a third book in the series that I will read once it becomes available on Libby, or I might spend a precious Audible credit to listen. It's that good. I hope it gets made into a series on a streaming service I subscribe to. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...