Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Turtles, Samarais, and Nuns

 Bomb Shelter: Love, Time, and Other Explosives

      Bomb Shelter: Love, Time, and Other Explosives by Mary Laura Philpott is a book of essays that are vulnerable, funny, and timely. Philpott explores life's difficulties--middle of the night 911 calls, Covid--but instead of sinking under the weight of capricious disasters, I came away feeling hopeful. 

The Samurai's Garden

  The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama is the historical fiction pick for my book club. It tells the story of a Chinese young man, Stephen, who contracts tuberculosis and is sent by his family to their summer home on the beach in Japan. It is 1938, and Japan has invaded China. Stephen spends a year with the aloof master gardener and caretaker, Matsu, who has always intimidated him. The plot has many unexpected turns making it a quick read. It describes a time in history I don't know much about. I think because Europe and World War II overshadow what happened in China prewar. Stephen grows in many ways as he faces living in his enemy's country and his friendship with Matsu. I liked the exotic, non-western feel of the book. 

Matrix

  I did not like Matrix by Lauren Groff. The title refers to the Latin form of the word mother. It is a clever title because the main character, Marie's, is a reluctant abbess over an English nunnery, but also alludes to the power of mother figures. My dislike of the book is rooted in its morally superior tone and the avant-garde writing style. It didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

🫶Marriage Book, Two Murder Books🔪, and Fantasy!🦠

      I appreciate a self-help book that balances theory with practicum. In Reconnect: Insights and Tools for Cultivating Meaningful Connect...