Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Space ships πŸ›Έ and Time Travel πŸ•°️

 Eyes of the Void (The Final Architecture, #2)

    Another trilogy week. I might need an intervention. I have pivoted this week from fantasy to sci-fi; however, I'm still reading giant bricks of books with another 600+ pages. Adrian Tchaikovsky is excellent at science fiction. He is inventive, vivid, and knowledgeable enough to create worlds with credible technical details that give them life. I have read his Children of Time and Children of Ruin--both excellent books. Now I'm caught in his trilogy, The Final Architect series. 

Here is my review of Shards of the Earth:  its-beginning-to-look-lot-like-book-time.html

Tchaikovsky's story works well and keeps me invested because of his characters. There are the tropes of space warriors, madmen (women? people? space creatures?), politicians, and idealists, but Tchaikovsky gives them life through their mixed motives and desires, but facing a common threat. Will they set aside their differences and pull together to save, well, everything? The stakes couldn't be more significant--the survival of sentient life--resting on the shoulders of an odd band of misfits. It could be stale, but the story is fresh, with relatable characters. I have the third book, The Lords of Uncreation, and will read it soon, but first, some shorter stand-alone to cleanse the palate.

😁

πŸ‘©πŸ½‍πŸš€πŸ‘½πŸš€πŸ›ΈπŸͺ☄️πŸ‘¨πŸ»‍πŸš€

Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)

Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi is a lovely book, and I liked it a great deal. It is a sci-fi/fantasy book about time travel. In an underground coffee cafe in Tokoyo, the possibility of time travel exists. However, there are limitations. You can only travel back to that cafe. You must sit in a particular chair, but only when vacated by its ghost for a bathroom break. No matter what you do, you can't change the present. You can't leave the chair. And you can only stay until your coffee gets cold. When the rules were laid out initially, I doubted it would be much of a story. I was wrong. Kawaguchi deftly creates a series of interrelated stories using those parameters. The book is brief, but explores the idea of why time travel if nothing changes? I would do it even though I'm not a fan of coffee. 

☕️πŸ•°️☕️πŸ•°️☕️πŸ•°️☕️

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️πŸͺ„

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...