Thursday, August 10, 2023

Maybe Aliens, more HP, and a Family Saga

 

    This quirky book, Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah, was superb. A biology graduate student doing field research encounters a lost child who claims to be an alien inhabiting a dead child's body. The characters in this book are wonderfully broken and complex. The book asks a big question: what do you do with death and pain? Move closer or move away? I like where it landed--risking to care is costly, but worth it.

๐ŸŒณ✨⭐️๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŒ

  I avoid spoilers, but if you haven't read or seen the Harry Potter series, you probably have chosen not to. There are spoilers ahead. Also, I'm revisiting the Harry Potter series, so expect to see more HP posts in the future. This week I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It is instructional to see seeds of future story plots being planted. The tight plot of the entire series, is a lesson to writers.

 Knowing that Harry and Ginny end up together makes Ginny's early reactions to Harry hilarious. He was her crush for a long time. I thought Hermione and Harry were better suited to each other than Harry and Ginny, but as I reread HP and the Chamber of Secrets, I wonder if I'm not as right as I believe. I will probably say this as I reread through each Harry Potter book.

๐Ÿช„๐Ÿง™‍♂️๐Ÿง™‍♀️๐Ÿ๐Ÿช„


   Family Lore by Elizabeth Acevedo was recommended to me as a family drama, and it does that exceptionally well. Acevedo weaves the stories of four magical sisters and two of their daughters into a gripping, wrenching, loving, heart-expanding tale that is hard to put down. Halfway through, I did put it down because of the graphic sex. It was too much for me, but I returned and finished it because the story was compelling, and I wanted to know what happened. It is a great book I'm not 100% happy I read.๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿ‘จ‍๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿ‘ง‍๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿป

No comments:

Post a Comment

๐ŸซถMarriage Book, Two Murder Books๐Ÿ”ช, and Fantasy!๐Ÿฆ 

      I appreciate a self-help book that balances theory with practicum. In Reconnect: Insights and Tools for Cultivating Meaningful Connect...