Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Two Books, Same Author, Both Scary! 😱😳👻👿

 Thank you, Hilary and Gabe, for your book recommendations this week!


twisty, sinister, exciting plot, intriguing protagonist, Alex Stern

        After eating Thanksgiving food for several days, I crave something spicy and bitter, like Phad Thai or chili. After reading gentle time travel books and romantic comedies, the Alex Stern series by Leigh Bardugo feels like what I need. Two of my daughters recommended it, and they warned me it was dark and creepy. They were right. I raced through the first two books, Ninth House and Hell Bent. Bardugo intends it to be a trilogy--yes, I'm reading another fantasy trilogy. I like Bardugo's writing. She is adept at creating tension, plot twists, and characters that crackle with mixed motives and intentions. Alex Stern is a transplanted Californian on a scholarship to Yale because of her unique ability to see ghosts. Alex becomes a member of a secret society that serves other secret societies, safeguarding them during their rituals. She wrestles with helping the wealthy and privileged stay wealthy and privileged. She needs them, but why do they need her, and what happens when they no longer do?

🐍😈🪦👿🐇


No comments:

Post a Comment

🫶Marriage Book, Two Murder Books🔪, and Fantasy!🦠

      I appreciate a self-help book that balances theory with practicum. In Reconnect: Insights and Tools for Cultivating Meaningful Connect...