Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Thoughtful 🤔 Books--History, ⏰ Time Travel, and ❣️Complicated Family Love

 


    This week, I read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. This is a perfect companion book for Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I had an inclination that Hemmingway might be a jerk, and the historical fiction about Hadley Hemmingway, Ernest's first wife, confirmed it. At the end of A Moveable Feast, I wanted to know more about the people Hemmingway mentioned, and The Paris Wife filled those gaps. McLain's Hadley is somewhat shy, compliant, and deeply in love with her husband. Her voice is honest and sincere. I gained insight into the book A Moveable Feast. Hadley is timid and unsure among the fast-living, hard-drinking, intellectual free thinkers. She wants to believe that her marriage with Ernest won't be rocked by his unrestrained energy, desire, and deep wounds. This book didn't make me like Hemmingway any better, but it helped me better understand him. 

📝📚💔👶🏻

    Next Time by Cesca Major did the difficult task of putting a new spin on time travel. It was a Groundhog Day situation where Emma relives the same day repeatedly. Gradually, over-committed Emma realigns her priorities. I liked how cleverly the pieces fit together, and Emma gains wisdom and understanding. It feels somewhat moralistic--if you try harder at home, your family will all be fine-- but good-hearted. 

⏰🐕📚💼

     I finished the week with Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano. The story is told from multiple viewpoints. William comes to Chicago to play basketball. He is unsure and easily molded. Julia meets him and decides he's the one who will fulfill her dreams. Julia is the oldest and most driven of four close-knit sisters. They are like the March sisters from Little Women, so tightly woven together that it feels like nothing can drive them apart. There is a lot in this book that connected with me. When I was in middle school, I loved playing basketball; in high school, I had to choose between sports and music, and I chose music. However, I occasionally still have dreams that I'm playing basketball. Those are good dreams. Napolitano represents well how the loss of a sibling can echo through the rest of your life. She illustrates how much power parents have in the developing psyches of their children and what it may take to address those losses. Her writing is profoundly moving but not in a devasting way. I felt encouraged and hopeful.

🎨👶🏻💔🏀

   Last month Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano, and I loved it. Here is the review link: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/2023/11/i-find-ann-napolitano-and-now-im-in.html  


No comments:

Post a Comment

🫶Marriage Book, Two Murder Books🔪, and Fantasy!🦠

      I appreciate a self-help book that balances theory with practicum. In Reconnect: Insights and Tools for Cultivating Meaningful Connect...