Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Christmas๐ŸŽ„, Horror ๐Ÿ’€, Fantasy ๐Ÿงš‍♀️, and Black History Month



    I reserved this book in December, and it only became available this week, but I'm up for keeping Christmas in my heart all year! Three Holidays and a Wedding by Uzma Jalaluddin and Marissa Stapley is a holiday romance book placed during the rare intersection of Ramadan, Hanukkah, and Christmas. Two main characters, Maryam and Anna, are on the same flight to Canada when the weather grounds them in a small, picturesque Christmas town. Even though the book is full of holiday romance tropes--meet-cutes, mistaken identity, being snowed-in, let's do-a-show, and a nod to Dickin's Christmas Carol--it is delightfully done. 

๐ŸŽ„❄️❤️

    I am relatively new to the author T. Kingfisher, but I'm a fan. Her book Nettle & Bone was my best book of 2023. This week, I read two of her books, A House with Good Bones and Thornhedge. A House with Good Bones leans into her horror side. Sam, a thirty-something archeological entomologist, returns to her childhood home for an unexpected extended stay with her beloved mother. Something is not right. Her mom is jumpy and terrified. The formerly cozy home is returned to its uptight decor of her grandmother. And why are there buzzards watching the house? It is a good blend of suspense, mystery, and Southern Gothic.

๐Ÿฆด๐Ÿž๐Ÿชถ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ˜️

    Thornhedge is a fantasy novella. Stolen by the fairies as a child and raised by toads, she is tasked to return to her family to save them from her changeling replacement. Kingfisher's characters are not superlative when it comes to beauty or bravery. This makes me root for them because they don't have advantages. They have to overcome themselves as much as the problems presented to them. I recommend this and everything I've read so far by T. Kingfisher.

Here are previous posts of some of her books: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/search?q=T.+Kingfisher

๐Ÿงš‍♀️๐Ÿธ๐Ÿ„

    Why make a special to read black others one month a year? I would like to read widely about different genres and ethnicities all year. I try, but I find it beneficial to prioritize reading black authors one month a year. That makes it sound like I have a list ready to go. I do not. This is where I look to my library or Goodreads to help me find books. Here is a link to Goodreads's list of 100 Essential New Works of Fiction by Black Authors. https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/2723?ref=ed_ads_1_24_bhm

 


    Leslie F*cking Jones by Leslie Jones is a lot. I listened to the audiobook by Leslie Jones. The word that describes this book to me is intense. Leslie Jones powerfully tells her dynamic story. As she narrates, she stops and gives advice. The advice springs from hard times and having to figure Hollywood, comedy, and finance out on her own. Jones is a yeller. She is. I cringe when someone yells at me, and sometimes, I felt overwhelmed by all of Jones's yelling and f-bombs. However, she is hilarious and fierce.

๐Ÿคฃ๐ŸŽค๐Ÿ˜‚





No comments:

Post a Comment

Six Books in a Week! ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ‘

      The Golden Yarn  is the third book in the MirrorWorld Series by Cornelia Funke. It is not the last book in the series, and the others ...