Friday, April 26, 2024

🫶Marriage Book, Two Murder Books🔪, and Fantasy!🦠

 

    I appreciate a self-help book that balances theory with practicum. In Reconnect: Insights and Tools for Cultivating Meaningful Connection in Your Marriage, Steven D. Call, PhD, explains how attachment theory can apply to the marriage relationship. Here is a quick idea:

Attachment theory is a lifespan model of human development emphasizing the central role of caregivers (attachment figures) who provide a sense of safety and security.(https://www.simplypsychology.org/attachment.html)

    The types of attachment, in descending order, are secure, anxious (or ambivalent), avoidant-dismissive, and disorganized. Our style deeply affects our relationships with others, but especially with our spouse. Stephen Call urges partners to examine their attachment style and its effects on their marriage. Then, he gives way to connecting together to move toward a secure attachment. 

    I found his education and advice helpful. One way I've directly applied this encouragement is to cease multitasking when I'm talking to my husband. This can be summed up as: Put down the phone and engage. The changes he recommends are gradual and, therefore, more long-term and lasting. 

    This book would be useful to everyone who wants to connect with others. I liked that it wasn't shaming or intimidating.

👩‍❤️‍👨🧲🫶😍

    In her fourth installment of this series, Elle Cosimano's latest Finlay Donovan Rolls the Dice is beyond fast-paced, entering breakneck territory. Cosimano can make me think this can't get worse, and with a twist, it does. I enjoy these madcap, escapist reads. I rarely guess the murderer, but it's always a plausible perpetrator. 

Other Finlay Donovan book reviews: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/search?q=finlay+

🎲🎰🚔🐶

    I was surprised Murder Your Employer: The McMasters Guide to Homicide by Rupert Holmes was published in 2024 because it reads like a book from the 1950s where it's set. It has a ridiculous premise: a school where you learn how to murder someone and get away with it. There are parameters. The person you're proposing to murder must fully deserve it. The McMasters Institute prides itself on its well-rounded graduates who are fully equipped to carry out their thesis plan. Rupert Holmes wrote the Pina Colada song! The book is filled with wordplay. We don't say murder; we say delete. The students aren't murderes, they are deletist. The audiobook is read by award-winning Simon Vance and Neil Patrick Harris. 

    I found the book humorous and engaging even as I struggled with the premise that some people deserve to be killed with out due process. Those who are chosen to be deleted are horrible, horrible people it is still  one person making that decision. It bugged me.

🔪☠️🔫

    I know people who loooooove Brandon Sanderson, but he didn't land for me. Until I read Tress of the Emerald Sea. Sanderson himself confesses that Tress was a departure for him. I say, Keep going! It had many of the elements I enjoy in fantasy: considerable imagination, strong characters, sly humor, and a quirky sidekick. 

🌊💚🦠⛵️


No comments:

Post a Comment

🚵‍♀️ Travel,🐮Talking Cows, and 💍 a Magic Attic

      The book club travel for May is Lands of Lost Borders: Out of Bounds on the Silk Road  by Kate Harris. To tell the truth, this wasn...