Wednesday, January 19, 2022

I am Confused by What I'm Reading

This week I read a book by William Kent Krueger. I have read another book by him, This Tender Land, and I considered it excellent literary fiction. I thought that's what Krueger writes. This made Northwest Angle puzzling to me. I kept thinking, this is reading like a murder mystery of an extremely unlucky family. Several family members had died violently before this book even started. I was surprised to find out Krueger also has a mystery series centered around Cork O'Connor. In this book, he is a retired sheriff. I started reading at book eleven, and now everything is ruined. I might go back and start at the beginning because Krueger writes exciting, twisty plots with distinctive characters. Though I have to brag that I guessed an evil perpetrator. This is rare.

Also, Beloved Husband is a geography nerd. When I told him about the book title, I had to, got to watch several Youtube videos about this geographic oddity. watch

 Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor, #11)

Beloved Husband gave me Axiom's End for Christmas. He knows I love sci-fi, and this book did not disappoint. It is a first contact story about alien refugees hiding on Earth from a hostile faction. It is clever in its tackling of the linguist problem and colliding cultures. I found myself admiring how Lindsay Ellis kept driving the plot with excellent turns. Several times, I muttered, "Oh no! That's not good."

 It is part of a trilogy. The second one is out, and I'm reading it now. Stay tuned for updates.

Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...