Wednesday, January 26, 2022

I Want to go to a Stanley Tucci Dinner Party!

 Truth of the Divine (Noumena, #2)

    I enjoyed Lindsay Ellis's book, Axiom's End, so much that I eagerly dove into the second in her Noumena series, Truth of the Divine. Unfortunately, it was not as good. It was ambitious. She contends with the idea of what makes a "person" in a thoughtful way, making me seriously consider should Outerspace aliens be given full rights as humans. Is there some kind of real-world application that Ellis is pointing towards?

Digression: Science fiction, at its best, can address cultural, moral, and ethical issues that are difficult to see because we are invested in our own tribe. I remember watching an original Star Trek series episode where the Enterprise crew is caught up in the conflict of two black and white aliens fighting to the death. They looked similar, but one was black on the right side, and the other was black on the left. ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield," Star Trek, Season 3, Episode 15) I remember thinking, who would fight over something so silly?

 Truth of the Divine also addressed post-traumatic stress disorder and depression in ways that felt oppressive. Perhaps the writing was so realistic I internalized Cora's pain? The book was long--I think over-long--and dark. I don't regret reading it and will probably read the third book in the series. Ellis has created engaging characters and an odd, contorted plotline that has me curious about the ending. How is it going to land? 


Taste: My Life through Food

    I wanted something lighter after Truth of the Divine and Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci was perfect. It is a memoir that made me hungry and wish my parents were Italian. I listened to the audiobook read by Tucci, and now I'm his secret BFFs. So I watched his movie--at his recommendation--The Big Night.  It has many big names: Tony Shaloub, Isabella Rosselini, Minnie Driver, Ian Holm, and more. I enjoyed playing one of my favorite games of what-else-have-I-seen-you-in that drives Dear Husband crazy. I found it on Amazon and gladly paid $3.99 to watch it. 

You're welcome, Stanley. 

Tucci is married to Felicity Blunt, Emily Blunt's sister. They met at the Krasinski/Blunt wedding and were married at George Cluney's Italian estate. He is good friends with Ryan Reynolds.  Many recipes, stories, and cocktails make the book both mouthwatering and jaw-dropping.

I found the book fun and crisply written. It was delicious. 🍝 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...