Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Reading about the Atom Bomb, Cello Music, and Motherless Daughters: Mostly Young Adult Fiction

 Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon

   Bomb by Steve Sheinkin was a fascinating book about making the atomic bomb. Because it tells the stories of key players, it reads like a spy novel. The events occurred mainly during World War II, but they feel pertinent to today's news. Sheinkin ends the book with this statement:

 “In the end, this is a difficult story to sum up. The making of the atomic bomb is one of history's most amazing examples of teamwork and genius and poise under pressure. But it's also the story of how humans created a weapon capable of wiping our species off the planet. It's a story with no end in sight.

And, like it or not, you're in it.”

    With Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the threat of nuclear war, it felt timely.

Musical Chairs


    Musical Chairs by Amy Poeppel is a lighthearted book about two mid-life musicians at a crossroads. It has a lot to recommend: zany antics, unknown paternity of twins, country houses, Manhattan, eccentric relatives, break-ups, and get-togethers. It is a lively read that was not formulaic. Instead, it felt fresh and fun. Great for summer reading on vacation or just reading.

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)

    I have many children in my life, and I want to be a book guru to them all. I also want to give great books for birthdays and Christmas (Are you surprised?🤓). So I'm justifying reading the Young Adult The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall. It is about a family: a father and four daughters whose mother died several years earlier of cancer. The four sisters are distinctly different, but have a cohesive, caring bond. As I was reading it, I thought it was written in the 1980s and was surprised to learn it was published in 2005. It is a quiet story of family drama--family drama to a 12, 10, 9, and 4-year-old. It reminds me of a modern-day Little Women. They are charming books, and I enjoyed reading them. I will work my way through the entire series ( I think there are five). Thank you, Libby. I understand from my good friend the internet that a movie of the series may be coming sometime in the 2020s. It is well-written and captivating, but my criticism is that it is too happy-slappy and isn't diverse. On the other hand, I think it accurately captures family life from a child's point of view.

 “A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children isn't a good children's story in the slightest.” C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...