Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Trapped in History Feeling my Feelings

 

    Brené Brown is a national treasure. I find it difficult to start her books because I know I will be taking a deep look into my dark soul, but when I finish, I consistently find I've learned how to navigate me and my life a little better. 

    I listened to the audiobook read by Brené Brown and now we are close, personal friends. She has an engaging, warm way of speaking. While reading, she would stop and say let me repeat that vital idea or quote just for you, listener. I may end up buying this book. I try to be selective on books I allow into my house because when they unbury me from the book avalanche that will probably end my life, I want them to be impressed with my book choices! 🤓 What moves me to purchase Atlas of the Heart is she refers to many charts and illustrations that I can't access because I borrowed, not purchased the audiobook. Bummer. The information on emotions is worth a second or third read. Brown also has a series called Atlas of the Heart on HBOmax.  

The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1)

   Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi is the May book choice for my historical fiction book club. I read it many years ago and like it, but I didn't enjoy re-reading it. It is a heavily plot-driven book with many surprising twists, but if you already know the twists, it becomes a slow-moving descriptive book about 14th-century Britain being icky and oppressive. I would recommend it for middle school grades. 

    Some books aimed at younger readers are excellent at any age, for example, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I love that book.

Master and God 

    Master and God by Lindsey Davis is also historical fiction. I have read and recommended Lindsey Davis's historical mystery series set in Ancient Rome (Marcus Didius Falco and Flavia Albia). Even though this isn't a mystery, it is a suspenseful novel revolving around first century Emporer Domitian. Davis creates the flavor and setting of Rome. The two main characters are a Praetorian guard and an imperial hairdresser who are navigating dangerous times under a tyrant. I was sad when it was over.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...