Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch Series Books II and III

  This weekend was spent hiking the Appalachian trail with Dear Husband, so I didn't read much. The weather was terrific. Query: do 8 miles and some change mean (1) 8 miles and a little more or (2) ALMOST 9 MILES? 


    Asking for a friend. 


   I finished Anne Leckie's Imperial Radch Series. It well deserves all the awards it has won with excellent world-building, characters, and plot. The second and third books of the trilogy are strong stories that continue to develop the action and tell an encapsulated, satisfying story in each book. The culmination rocked. 

 Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3)

 

  I didn't mention this with the first book, but Leckie's main character--a former AI of a spaceship--doesn't see gender. The Radch society that created her doesn't differentiate between males and females. It is gender neutral. At first I thought it was entirely women, but the planet she finds herself on has languages that need the correct pronouns and Breq is trying to decide who's male and who's female. I like that sci-fi can create spaces to discuss themes like gender, race, and politics. At times it felt slightly moralistic, but Leckie keeps the action moving. 

    Here is a post that addressed her use of "she" for both genders: post-binary-gender-in-SF-ancillary-justice-by-ann-Leckie

  I found talk of an adaptation starring Keira Knightly. Keira-Knightley-to-star-in-ancillary.html 

    I would watch that!

Here is a cool fan-made book trailer. It contains spoilers if you haven't read the series. ancillary-justice-fan-made-trailer

    

    The Imperial Radch Series is good sci-fi: entertaining me while it made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...