Wednesday, August 31, 2022

🤓😍🥳 Happy Anniversary to Me!

 The Reading List

    This post will frequently mention my Dear Husband( DH). DH bought The Reading List A Novel by Sara Nisha Adams for me as a surprise, which was delightful. In a corner of London is a mysterious reading list that makes its way into the hands of several different people--unhappy, disconnected people that could use understanding and inspiration. The narrative bounces between Mukesh, an elderly widower, and Aleisha, a disgruntled nineteen-year-old summer staff at the local library. Mukesh asks for a book recommendation, and Aleisha, at a loss, gives him one from a booklist she found in a returned book. As they read through the list, they both are challenged to consider their lives and others. The Book List makes the case that books and libraries can change lives. I agree. The book has a fairytale quality, but it's because books are magical. However, it is not without complex topics. One of the books on the list is The Kite Runner, a book I'm still trying to gather enough courage to read. From what I've heard, it is a book that rips out your heart. I want to read those books, but sometimes I have difficulty jumping in, knowing it will hurt. I would rather be blindsided. 

"Please try to remember that books aren't always an escape; sometimes books teach us things. They show us the world; they don't hide it."
~
"Sometimes, books just take us away for a little while, and return us to our place with a new perspective." 
      from The Reading List
~

That is the only grownup book I read this week! I'm almost done with a long, complex book I will unpack next week. Stay tuned.

This past Saturday was my anniversary, and in our usually nerdy way, DH and I went to a bookstore. If you live in or near Baltimore or plan to visit, I recommend Charm City Books. It is a small, but a potent independent bookstore. It has a surprisingly well-stocked children's room and friendly, knowledgeable staff. DH bought the book Before Music: Where Instruments Come From by Annette Bay Pimentel, illustrated by Madison Safer, to read to visiting grandkids. I read it and learned things. For example, I didn't think of rocks as musical instruments, but they are!

Before Music: Where Instruments Come From 

    Here is a link to the bookstore:




https://charmcitybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...