Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Blushing

Thank You for Listening

I consume most of the books I read through audiobooks. Does that count as reading? I say yes, and research agrees with me: audiobooks-reading-books Retention and processing are close to the same in either format. I have trouble recalling books I've listened to previously, but I also have the same problem with books I've read. Currently, my overtaxed brain is struggling to do many things. That is why I accidentally sent an email saying my sister had died, as she pointed out the following day: she's alive and well.

A celebrated audiobook narrator is Julia Whelan. If you listen to audiobooks, chances are she's narrated one of them.  best-julia-whelan-audiobook She also writes fiction. I was interested to read her latest book, Thank You for Listening, a romance novel about a woman who narrates audiobooks. I think it would be a dream job to read books aloud for a living. I learned a lot about the craft and difficulty of the profession in this book. Whelan writes a fast-paced, twisty tale with lots of action and carefully timed backstory reveals. She kept me on the brink of what was going to happen the entire book.

Here is the snob part: there is quite descriptive sex. I've heard books rated by "how wide the bedroom door is open," but I'm still learning what that means. When I physically read a book, I can move ahead several paragraphs, or pages, if it's making me uncomfortable, but with an audiobook, usually, my hands are busy, and I hear a lot more than I want to! Regarding romance books, Whelan knows how to heat things up. 

I debated whether to review this book because I'm somewhat shy and want everyone to think I'm "well-read." Jane Austen for life!

Well, I'm widely read and red-faced. Don't tell my kids.

😳

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...