Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Looking for Humor, Finding Something Better

 Happy-Go-Lucky

     I chose David Sedaris's book Happy-Go-Lucky because he is a good storyteller and so wickedly funny. He talks about his life and family in blistering terms. I don't feel like the weirdest one around when I read about his life. Happy-Go-Lucky is about, among other things, the decline and death of his 98-year-old dad. It is comic and heart-wrenching. I understand no one gets a perfect mom or dad, and I can't be the ideal mom, daughter, sister, or wife, but I want to be,, and I want my parents to be. It's complex. Sedaris exemplifies complicated grief. I listened to the book as I walked on the treadmill and cooked Thanksgiving dinner. I found it comforting to see someone else's suffering and laugh at it. It helped.

Maybe I am the weirdest one around. 

😜😜😜

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow

   Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrelle Zevin has been on my holds list for two months or so and it was worth the wait. I am not generous with in giving out 5 stars on GoodReads. At it's core, it is a book about Sadie Green and Sam Masur, two kids who met in Los Angelos in a children's hospital game room and became friends, then enemies, then game partners. Zevin does a masterful job of twisting their lives together while creating tension that made the book compelling. I admire how big events like loss, chronic illness, and abusive partners are woven into the story, but not in a maudlin or poor-me way. I was impressed with the story, but also the depth and scope of the characters. It is a great read. This is one of the best books I've read in 2022.

⭐⭐🌟⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...