Thursday, November 17, 2022

For My Dad

 The Monster at the End of this Book

    The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone is a book I associate with my dad. It is a children's book that breaks the fourth wall. Grover talks to the reader, trying to convince them not to turn the pages because there is a monster at the end of the book! I remember my dad reading it to my three-year-old sister after he came back from being deployed in South East Asia. He is the standard of how to read a book to a child.  Funny voices are required. When Grover yells, my dad yells. Dad invested wholeheartedly with enthusiasm and his audience appreciated it. My sister's face was rapt, and I could see her concern for Grover's plight.

    Many years later, when I had my own children, he read the book to them in the same way, and they loved it and him.

    Yesterday, my dad passed away. On his final day, my daughter sat beside him with her little one and read The Monster at the End of this Book. It was a good, sad day.

    I am a writer seeking to be published and this month I was. It was inspired by my dad. Here is a link. tools I'm grateful my dad got to celebrate that milestone with me. 

    Here is a link to my brother's lovely tribute to my dad: https://www.facebook.com/george.laskey

    




6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful and so true!Iam so glad you have these memories! It helps to get you through difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing, Barb. This is a sweet memory of him. I read your tools article. It was really good. God give you grace and comfort as you grieve. ❤️. Sue B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories of an interesting, special man/father

    ReplyDelete

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...