Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Surprise To Read Only One Book This Week

 Surprised by Oxford

    I am a fan of C. S. Lewis. So when I encountered Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir by Carolyn Weber, I was intrigued because the title references Lewis's book Surprised by Joy. It is a memoir of his childhood and conversion. Weber's book is also a conversion story: hers, which happens at Oxford. She is a poor scholarship student from Canada. Her childhood has given her good cause to doubt the kindness of others. 

The writing is erudite; she's a student at Oxford, after all. Its plot drew me along. Her wrestling with Christianity feels authentic. Woven throughout the book are interactions with deep theological questions--why are we here? Do we matter? Does anything matter? Does God care? How do we know? Frequently, I found myself thinking: that's a good answer. Weber swims in deep waters, and, at times, it is a bit tedious. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book and gave it five stars. Weber dealt knowledgeably and compassionately with those inside the faith and those outside the faith. Good job. 

🤩⭐️🌟⭐️🤩

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...