Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Revisiting The Paris Apartment

 The Paris Apartment

    This is a strange reading week because I only read one book, and it was a reread. I'm not big on rereading: too many books, too little time! 

    I read The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley last summer and liked it so much that I included it in my book club's Year of Mystery. Last month we read Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. An interview with Foley said that reading Christie influenced her mystery writing. lucy-foley I can see similarities: artful red herrings, multiple suspects, and a locked room, or this case apartment building. Foley keeps the situation tense, and even though I'd already read the book before, I didn't remember exactly how it all turned out. It was a good read a second time as well. Foley has a vibe of nothing is as it seems: the good guys are the bad guys, the loser barmaid is a fierce defender of the weak, and a fancy apartment doesn't mean a good life. It kept me guessing, even the second time. 

Most of what I think about Paris is from romantic movies about falling in love in a Paris springtime. This is the upside-down Paris. I don't think the Eiffel Tower is ever mentioned. 

Here is a link to my previous review:

https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/2022/06/mystery-firefighters-and-time-travel.html

🔎🕵️🔍

The eiffel tower

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...