Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Romance, Mystery, and, Perhaps, the Best Book of the Year

Romantic Comedy 

    Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld is a sparkly, clever, funny book. It subverts the idea of the average guy ending up with a hot woman (think Colin Jost/Scarlett Johansson) by introducing the average woman/hot guy twist. The protagonist writes for a weekly live comedy show, not Saturday Night Live, modeled after SNL. Even though, like most romance novels, there is a predictable ending, the interest is in how the author gets from meet-cute to happy-ending. Sittenfeld does it well. 


❤️💖💞📺💞💖❤️

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)

    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear is my book club's choice for May. I appreciate many things: a strong female protagonist, a historical setting, a hint of romance, and an award winner; however, I found it tedious. As I've analyzed why, I think the characters are too black and white. Maise is a brilliant female from the working class. She works as a maid and is discovered reading in the library late one night. This leads to her receiving a private education and going to Oxford. World War I intervenes, and she becomes a nurse at the front. All these events contribute to her becoming a psychiatrist and private investigator. It is the first book in a series, so there is a lot of backstory to upload. In the book, Maisie's history feels more interesting than the mystery she is hired to solve. 

🔎🔍

,Signal Fires

I know Dani Shapiro from her memoir, Inheritance, about discovering through genetic tests that her father was not her birth father. Signal Fires is the first of her fiction that I've read. It was one of the best books I've read this year. It is a tender, insightful story of neighbors in Avalon, New York. The central family is Ben, a surgeon, and his wife, Mimi. One hot summer night, their two teenagers and a friend make a poor choice. It changes them forever. It moves them apart and binds them together. I'm not describing this book well, but it knocked my socks off, made me weep, and left me hopeful. 

🌳✨🌌✨🌳

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...