Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Familiar Authors, Newer Works

 A Carnival of Snackery: Diaries 2003-2020

crass, funny, insightful, strange, cringe

    I have mixed feelings about reading David Sedaris and Carnival of Snackery: Diaries 2003-2020. Sedaris is masterful at comedic writing. He makes me laugh out loud. Part of his humor springs from observing how mean people can be to each other. He can gross me out talking about a seatmate who eats his boogers, tell crass jokes that offend me, and rail against George Bush continually, but he records his father's decline and his sister's death in its painful awfulness and brings tears to my eyes. We are very different and not so very different. 

    Here is a link to another Sedaris book I reviewed: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/2022/11/looking-for-humor-finding-something.html

🐘🐘🐘

A World of Curiosities (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #18)


    I was fortunate to read the latest Louise Penny Inspector Armand Gamache novel, A World of Curiosities. If her writing is like her personality, I wouldn't mind meeting Louise Penny in real life. To sit at the Bistro in Three Pines and eat some of their delicious food while chatting would be amazing. As usual, Inspector Gamache ruminates deeply about his inner life, his monsters, and his motives. A hidden room is discovered in Three Pines containing odd, sinister artifacts. I liked this suspenseful book and was glad to revisit Three Pines, but it stretched my credulity at points--another mystery room? 

Here is a link to a previous Louise Penny review: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/search?q=Louise+Penny&max-results=20&by-date=true

🌲🌲🌲



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Week of Fun Stuff ❤️🪄

      I'm traveling this week and wanted something fun and easy to listen to on the plane. Party of Two  by Jasmine Guillory rocked it. ...