Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Growing Old Wisely 🧠 and Hiking 🥾

 

    I have waited several months for From Strength to Strength: Finding Success, Happiness, and Deep Purpose in the Second Half of Life by Arthur C. Brooks. I am in the second half of my life and want everything the title proposes. Brooks' book is well-researched and thoughtfully written. I learned much about fluid intelligence and crystallized intelligence. If I suspect that my mind isn't as nimble as it once was, I'm correct. Cognitive decline begins after forty, as does physical strength, which is not the best news. But he balances that with the fact that the older brain is better at making connections and seeing significant patterns. The book is aimed at hard-charging career types, which I'm not, but I still found plenty to chew on. It is more fulfilling in the second half of life if you have close friends, less attachment to material things, and develop a spiritual life. That last one surprised me, but it's based on research. He's given me lots to think about. 

👵🏻🧠👴🏻

    I've read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed before and didn't like it. I tried to analyze why as I read it this time for book club. She is a terrific writer who makes a 1,100-mile trek on the Pacific Crest Trail fascinating. She is vulnerable about why she's walking--the end of her marriage, the loss of her mom and cohesive family, and her struggle with drugs. A theme of her book is loss. It's painful to experience it with her. She communicates it viscerally. It is a well-written book that ends on a happy note, but it leaves me sad. 

🥾🌄🏕️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Six Books in a Week! 🥳👏

      The Golden Yarn  is the third book in the MirrorWorld Series by Cornelia Funke. It is not the last book in the series, and the others ...