Wednesday, September 18, 2024

🫣 Intense Thriller😱, More Time Travel⏳, and Almost Done with My Latest Fantasy Series⚔️

 

    Master of the Revels is the second in a series about time travel and witches. Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland wrote the first book, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. The series is continued solely by Nicole Galland. Galland does an adequate job of moving the story along using the original characters. If you are a Shakespeare enthusiast, Galland's knowledge of the details of the people and theater of that time is extensive, and she weaves it into her plot skillfully. Master of the Revels is less science-y than other Stephenson's books, but if you enjoyed the first book and wonder what happened to them--the first book ended on a cliffhanger then it is worth the time to read it.

Here is a link to a review of another Stephenson's book: https://barbpruittwrites.blogspot.com/search?q=Stephenson

🎭⏳🧙‍♀️

    I found The Fury by Alex Michaelides a tense "locked room" mystery thriller. I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator was stellar. The murder takes place on a remote island during a fierce windstorm. Michaelides kept me off balance for the entire story. I kind of, sort of figured out some of the big reveals, but the ending caught me by surprise. He does an excellent job of obfuscating significant clues and lulling the reader into a sense of trust only to shatter it. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll just say I found this book intense and compelling.

🎭🇬🇷🏝️🔎😱

    I read Daindreth's Sorceress by Elisabeth Wheatley, book four of her series Daindreth's Assassin. Wheatley is good at crafting plots that are believable and inventive for the genre, and occasionally, she produces a gem of a metaphor. She likes the word smear and uses it a lot. 

He smeared his wet hair back. She smeared sweat from her face. 

It seems like an unusual use, but it does bring a clear visual to mind. 

Vesha is a sympathetic and ruthless villain. Wheatley supports her actions with understandable desire. I can see why Vesha pursues her awful path, and I wish she would choose differently for her sake and others.

There are as many court politics as sword fights that occur, and it elevates the series.

I'm looking forward to spending my next audible credit on the final book of the series.  

🧝‍♀️🧙‍♀️⚔️


No comments:

Post a Comment

🫣 Intense Thriller😱, More Time Travel⏳, and Almost Done with My Latest Fantasy Series⚔️

      Master of the Revels  is the second in a series about time travel and witches. Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland wrote the first book...